In the book, "Things Get Hectic," we as the reader follow different stories about abuse. I think that one main thing that we see in almost all of the stories told from victims or witnesses, is that there is guilt.
The first time I sensed that someone was feeling guilty, was when a witness said they felt as if they should have done more to help her friend. This means that she feels like she didn't do enough to stop a murder. I think that even though it wasn't a witnesses fault they're going to feel bad just because he/she was there. When something bad happens, we as humans, just naturally feel bad about it. So I think that if you were an actual person to see someone get hurt or die, and you being the only human able to do something makes you feel like you should've even if it could've put you in danger. One thing that this makes me wonder about is that, if someone would put their life in danger for that friend that is in danger, and get killed, how would the friend that was involved cope with the fact that their friend died for them? Wouldn't that just send them into a guilty stage themselves? I'm not so sure how I would go about saving a friend.
Another thing that I think happens in this book is that, people feel guilty not for being a witness or anything but feeling bad about being the victim. This is especially common in sexual abuse stories. I think that the reason the victims feel guilty is because they feel like this happened to them because they did something wrong, even if they were a saint. They feel like any random good person wouldn't have had anything like this happen to them, but what they don't understand is that it's okay and its not their fault. Someone took advantage of them and it's not their fault.
All in all, I think that in this book and as we follow these stories, there is an overarching feel of guilt. To be reading these stories and to feel guilty that these people had to go through things like this, and that had to suffer, just makes us feel bad. We should just all be grateful, and hope that nobody ever has to be one to have to experience this guilt.
Muy bien amigo,I like the way you tied natural instincts in our world to the story. It shows that you see how characters are so closely related to humans, and have emotions too.
ReplyDeleteAref, I think you put a lot of thought into the post! There were a lot of good ideas inside this post, such as dieing for a friend and how they would cope. I don't think I could live with myself if a friend died for me. I would feel guilty and upset. Also I don't know if I would die for a friend. It depends who that friend was. I mean it sounds selfish, but life and death are huge scary things. What would you do? I'm curious to hear what you have to say about these ideas because you only related them to the world but not you personally. You did a really good job, and there are a lot of interesting ideas!
ReplyDelete