Thursday, October 4, 2012

Reading Response: Am I Blue?

In reading, "Am I Blue?" by Bruce Coville, we can see Bruce Coville speaking his mind through his character, Melvin. We see Bruce Coville make a statement about homosexuality. All of this is said by 'Melvin' as he helps Vince, the main character, get through the bad parts of being/trying to figure out if you are gay.

One time we see Bruce Coville stick up for homosexuals is when 'Melvin' tells Vince he's been through it. "Listen honey, I have nothing but sympathy for you. I had to deal with my share of troglodytes when I was your age, and i know its no fun." I think this is really not just the character Melvin telling Vince that he's been there but really Bruce Coville letting everyone who has this problem that he's been here before, and that they aren't alone. He's letting them know that they aren't alone when it comes to being called things and beaten up, whether you are gay or not. Bruce Coville is also saying that it's okay to be different and that the people who are bullying kids about liking the same gender, should cut it out because it is NOT okay.

Another time we see Bruce Coville stick up for gays through Melvin is when he says, "I met him at a party on the other side once. Nice guy." I think what he is saying here in disguise is that gay people go to heaven too, which means it's not a sin. I think Bruce Coville is saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being attracted to the same gender. Many would disagree and many would agree, but here I think it is clear that Bruce Coville is giving himself a voice to say this, through Melvin.  I think this shows yet another time. 

In conclusion, after reading "Am I Blue?" we can see several instances where Bruce Coville comes out through his character and sticks up for what he thinks is right, in this case a non-prejudice towards gays.

No comments:

Post a Comment