In the book I'm reading Things Get Hectic by Phillip Kay, the book doesn't focus on just one kid, or teenager. The book follows different kids and tells their stories of abuse and rough life experiences that they have had. Through all of the things we see in this book, I think that the biggest thing the author wants us to realize, is that we should remember that we have it good. We have good lives and we shouldn't forget that many others have it worse than us.
One way I think that we are lead to feel like we should open our eyes and see we have good lives, is based on the structure of the book. The whole book is composed of how people had to live through these traumatic abuse experiences throughout their lives. Although the experiences usually get solved, they still end up needing something from the victim. For example, in one kid's story his father was his abuser. In order for his situation to end and for him to feel safe he had to wait until his dad died. This makes me feel like the situation must've been so much worse than what the author could have shown because, how bad does a situation have to be if in order for you to be safe, the person who was supposed to make you who you are, dies? As a result of reading this story, you feel sympathetic and grateful for the lives we have.
Another way that this book makes me realize how good of a life I really have, is when you compare it to people in way extreme situations and it matches up. For example, when I was reading this book, I couldn't help but be reminded about the article "Armed and Underaged." I think that these two texts relate because although their situations are different, they are both child victims, kids my age, that are undergoing these traumatic experiences. The experiences range from being sold into child warfare by your parents (Armed and Underaged), to abuse by your own parents (Things Get Hectic). These young people are my age and here I am, on my computer writing about how I feel bad for them, on the internet. I have all of these things and opportunities and reading Things Get Hectic, really did help me realize it.
In conclusion, I have realized that my life isn't bad at all compared to the lives of some kids my age, and some people in general. So if you are in a position like me, ask yourself, how bad do we really have it?
No comments:
Post a Comment