I have just started the book 'The Outsiders' by S.E Hinton and it is about a boy named Ponyboy who lives with his brothers and is in a gang. Ponyboy is fourteen years old and is actually very confused. I think he is confused for a number of reasons that I will explain now.
The first reason why I think that Ponyboy is confused is because he lost his parents and his older brothers are working. You may not see what I mean just yet, but without a father figure who is his role model? Ponyboy is left alone and doesn't have anyone to go to unlike the way we do in our lives. Sometimes I feel lost and confused even though I do have someone I can go to, so for him it must be a lot worse and a lot harder to figure things out on your own.
I think that this whole thing can lead to an emotional toll that we see in the form of him being in a gang. Being in a gang is like having another family or at least, trying to get one. I think that the whole concept of his gang is just his own community, even if it is just a life of fighting and trouble. All of this is just showing how confused this poor boy is.
After looking at Ponyboy like this, I think that all of the things that he is doing and going through, is just him attempting to find himself. He's trying to find himself through the things that he knows; streets and gangs. The streets and gangs are just a substitute for his family, so what I really think he's trying to do, is find his family.
No comments:
Post a Comment