Thursday, January 10, 2013
Reading Response: Grapes of Wrath
In the book "Grapes Of Wrath" by Steinbeck, one of the characters in the part I'm up to is named Joad. Now Joad isn't any regular guy, he has been in jail for four years on account of homicide. I think that based on the fact that he got out so early, a lot has changed from this time period to now.
The first thing that is definitely something that has changed since the past is the fact that someone could go and kill someone and get four years even if the other person ad a knife. I think that in today's society we count things for what we hear and don't let anybody explain themselves. I think that if he were to stand in front of a jury in 2013 he would've been sentenced to death/life in prison because no matter how you slice it, he took someone's life.
The second thing that I think has changed is that in the book hitchhiking is Joad's mode of transportation. In today's society we don't hitchhike because it is considered dangerous and nobody could trust eachother. Back in the time of the book, there were no real crazy people, a psychopath could get a lift so long as he/she didn't do anything to the driver. This shows the way things have changed.
As you can see, a lot has changed since then to now. I think that some things changed for the good, safety. On the other hand, I think that some things have changed for the bad and that is an area of improvement.;
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Aref, this is a really interesting post! I really want to read this book it looks really good! I agree with you that things were different in the past when it came to crime and murder. I mean murder is a terrible thing but we as people do need to give people a chance to explain. I do think that we have that though. No matter what you can't just throw someone in jail without a judge saying so. I think it's interesting to think about our rights as citizens
ReplyDelete