I am reading the book Of Mice and Men, and while reading it I see that there is an angle in the story that shows injustice. The injustice right now is that Lennie isn't as smart as everyone else and is being penalized for it. He gets yelled at by George and even people who don't know him like the farmer/rancher.
The first time we see Lennie being penalized for being mentally challenged is when he finds a mouse and wants to keep it. This wouldn't be as bad as it was if George hadn't already told him not to. Lennie is very forgetful and I think that's because he has the brain capacity of a child. To be penalized with something that you have no control over isn't fair.
The second time we see Lennie being served this injustice is when George doesn't even allow him to speak for himself and on top of that, blames Lennie for not talking. This happens when the rancher asks Lennie what he could do and George steps in and tries to do too much for them. The rancher gets suspicious and George blames Lennie when it was clearly his fault.
I don't think that Lennie sees all of this as injustices because he has never been normal. I don't think that justice can be served until George and Lennie get their own piece of land and Lennie is allowed to take care the things he wants like rabbits and mice.
No comments:
Post a Comment